Thursday, June 5, 2014

Earthquake!

I was sitting in Spanish class at University two days ago, just being a diligent and well behaved student (lol) when all of a sudden, everything began to shake!  It went on for about 5 seconds!  For the first couple seconds I didn't have enough time to comprehend what was happening, then I was like "Oh my god! EARTHQUAKE!"  We all jumped out of our chairs and rushed towards the door (someone actually knocked over a table which just increased the panic) but by the time we reached the door, it was already over!  I looked online just now and supposedly the magnitude was 5.2, and the epicenter somewhere on the central coast but I'm not sure.  It didn't seem terribly strong to me, but was strong enough to scare everyone!  I wasn't scared, just had a lot of adrenaline, and for me it was more exciting than anything!  In all my 10 months here, there have been tons of little earthquakes but I had never felt any of them until now!  I would always get home and my host mom would be like "Did you feel the earthquake??" and I'd be like "There was an earthquake?".  And I was actually quite disappointed every time one occured but I didn't feel it!  So, I'm glad I finally had the chance to experience an earthquake haha.  However most people here dread earthquakes and are very afraid of them, and with good reason--in 2007 there was an earthquake here that was 8.0 magnitude!  So everyone here thinks I'm crazy when my response to the earthquake was "That was awesome!"





No comments:

Post a Comment