Saturday, January 11, 2014

What's Been Happening

So let's see...a few days ago I went to the pool.  And I was there for like, 2 and 1/2 hours TOPS.  Only when I was leaving did I think "Ooh, my legs look a little red..hmm..." and only that night did I realize "My god....I'm burnt EVERYWHERE."  The worst areas are the tops of my feet, some spots on my thighs, my shoulders, and my stomach.  I had only applied some sunscreen to my shoulders, chest, and face (my face is notorious for burning so I'm sooo glad it didn't this time, just my nose is a tad red).  Anyways, that night, I laid on top of my covers, straight and stiff as a plank, trying not to move unless it was completely necessary.  I've been rubbing after-sun cream on the worst areas as often as I can for the last two days, and today when I woke up I was relieved to find that I was feeling a little better (haha I can stay standing for more than a 20 seconds now) and even braved a shower.

It's worse in person...
I think my feet got it the worst-- they're not used to being exposed to the sun, I rarely wear sandals :(
And last night we went out for dinner with some family members I don't really know...it was to celebrate my host dad's birthday.  We had Chifa (Peruvian Chinese food) which I used to despise but have now grown to enjoy (But it's still definitely not my favorite) and cake afterwards.  I was sooo exhausted, I think we got back home at around 12:30 and my feet hurt so badly from wearing shoes and socks :(

And then today, there were some plans to go to the beach, but I decided that in my current exhausted, lobster condition, it wasn't such a great idea.  And I absolutely hate turning down opportunities like that, but I was in a lot of pain and more sun exposure wouldn't help.  So I stayed home.  Later tonight there will be a reunion/party type thing in my house, another celebration for my host dad's birthday.

And I was informed 3 days ago that I will be changing families on the 15th (I got a week's notice).  I will not get into the whole situation,  I will just say I'm not particularly keen to change to this family because of some issues another exchange student had there and that student requested to change to a new family...hopefully I don't have any issues.  I wish I could stay in the family I'm in for a load of reasons:
  • We all already know each other
  • I have my own room here
  • I have gained trust from my host parents here and therefore have freedom to go out when I want
  • This house is close to where all my friends live
  • I am finally getting used to this area and how to get around
  • This house is really close to Javier Prado, one of the busiest, biggest highways here and it's easy to catch a bus to go to most places in Lima
  • I am just used to a way of life here
And I knew that I'd eventually have to change families, but being in Lima makes it tons harder because it is such a huge city.  Although I'm moving to a new family within the same city, the place I'm going is a good hour away by bus (depending on traffic) and I am pretty sure it has a different zip code.  I just worry it'll be hard to see my friends...luckily, my host mom with the family I'm in now told me I can come back here to the house to visit and have my friends over whenever I want, which is extremely generous of her.  She said she'd liked to have had me stay in her house but unfortunately our rotary club has already scheduled the family changes and a different exchange student will be coming to this house and taking my place, so I have to move.

So within the next few days I will have to pack up everything in my room and I'll be moving to my second host family.

Oh and sometime early this week I think, I don't remember, I went over to a friend's house and we all enjoyed taking webcam photos:

Me, Eduardo, Camila, Jampiere

Oh and I almost forgot!!  I got my Christmas package!  Finaaaally a letter came in the mail that said it was here in Lima and could be picked up, so my host mom and I went down to the post office and got it.  It was much easier to pick it up this time (last time it was a FIASCO and we spent all day jumping through hoops)
so I was relieved to get it within an hour or so this time.  And I was not expecting such an amazing package! 

beef jerky, heath, reeses peanut butter cups, pop tarts, homemade caramel puff corn, airheads, soft caramels, sour patch kids, chex mix, smores makings, milk duds, candy cane flavored pop rocks, pickles, makeup, a necklace, and my beloved moccasins
How lucky am I, right?!  I couldn't believe it.  Thank you TONS to my family for sending me this!  Love you all!

-Ginger

No comments:

Post a Comment