Saturday, November 2, 2013

Halloween in Peru

Well, Halloween was somewhat disappointing, even though I was expecting it to be so.  I went to school like any normal day, trying to make plans with friends to go out that night or do something.  After a nap after school, I ended up going to a party thrown by an exchange student for all the exchange students in Lima (plus some host siblings/school friends).  I was terribly bored the entire evening (and was perhaps one of 3, out of perhaps 40, that came without a costume (well the majority of the girls' costumes were little kitten ears and short skirts)).  Parties just really aren't my scene (due to the whole issue of 'I don't dance/I don't drink/I don't smoke/what else is there for me to do here...?')  Anyways, I sat there awkwardly for a while, waiting for my host mom to come get me at midnight... and long story short (and I won't express my true, enraged feelings about this over my blog....) she came an hour and a half late, at 1:30, despite the fact that I had told her I didn't want to stay late (I won't get started on this..)

ANYWAYS.

So Halloween was kind of a bust, but that's okay.  Some halloween differences:
  • A very small amount of people trick or treat (some, not many)
  • No decorations in the houses or in the yards
  • No pumpkins or carving jack-o-lanterns
So you can imagine that Halloween here (without decorations, pumpkins, really anything besides the calendar to tell you that it's actually Halloween) was a bit of a let down in comparison to an American Halloween night filled with cute trick or treaters in the streets, candles glowing inside pumpkins on the front steps, sugar-induced comas, etc.

And although Halloween here was disappointing, it didn't really make me homesick.  I feel pretty normal.

The next day, Friday, was a holiday or something, so we didn't have school.  I actually ended up sleeping until 3 PM... hahaha. That evening, I went out and had Chifa (Peruvian Chinese food) with several friends from school, then we all returned to my friend Andre's house and watched a movie. 

I'm not a huge fan of Chifa, but this place was better than most I've been to.  From left: Chachi, Andre, me, Eduardo
It was a fun night.  And so today is Saturday...I don't have plans, so I'll most likely end up watching movies on my computer.  I don't know!!

Goodbye!
-Ginger

No comments:

Post a Comment