Saturday, November 30, 2013

Thanksgiving

So Thanksgiving was Thursday!  I didn't really feel homesick, I don't think.  I went to school like normal.  There are two students at my school that have lived in the United States, and we wished each other a happy Thanksgiving.  I ended up Skyping with my family that evening (the Pinkerton side of the family was gathered at my house) and after that, my host mom went out of her way to prepare a turkey for dinner!  It was very thoughtful.  The turkey was really delicious (I was surprised) and I ended the day very happy.

On Friday, my day went a bit south when we exchange students at school were informed that we would be expected to come to school an extra week to take final exams.  We were very upset because, initially, we would finish school with quinto (the highest grade) on the 5th or 6th or something, and then would be graduating on the 13th.  But instead, we were told we would have to continue coming to school until the 12th, to take exams...meanwhile, the rest of our class (quinto) would be already out of school, preparing for graduation and prom.  But we would have to come to school and take tests up until the day before our graduation.  We were outraged.  I won't get into it anymore.

So after a disappointing day, I went home and did my usual Netflix routine.  Then my spirits were brightened when my friend Andre invited me and our friend Eduardo to come over to his house.  So we went over to Andre's house and watched Mean Girls and ordered pizza. 

Interesting fact:  I'm not sure if it's all pizza chains, or just Papa Johns, but here, the pizzas come in the box with little packets of Aji, a spicy pepper (in powdered form in the little packet), Oregano packets, a little dish of garlic butter sauce (it tastes good but I almost feel sick eating it just, thinking about how unhealthy it is--it is basically just a dish of grease), and several actual peppers (I don't know what kind, I didn't eat any)

Pretty sure it was these peppers
Here's a good example: there is the garlic dipping sauce in the bottom corner, and the pepper on the top right quadrant of the pizza hahaha
I can't believe I just went into so much detail about pizza haha...anyways, it was a really nice evening that lifted my spirits after the disappointing day I'd had at school.

And today, Saturday, I got out of bed at 11:45 (a bit earlier than I normally rise on the weekends hahaha) had some Froot Loops and Maracuya juice:

That's Maracuya
And watched a movie or two on my laptop.  Then my host mom got home and we had lunch (I actually eat the same thing for lunch, almost every day): chicken, rice, french fries.  Then I talked with my host mom about what had happened at school, about how they were making us go to school for an extra week, and then I got back on my computer and started writing this blog post.  lol

And today, my school is having a "Cine Interactiano".  Interact is a part of Rotary that is for youth.  I don't really know how to explain it that well, we don't have it in my city in the United States.  Anyways, Cine Interactiano = Interact Movie Theater.  So they are going to show two movies and sell pizza and concessions and give the money to PolioPlus or something along those lines... so I'm going to go to that later today, I think.

So that's about it.  Chau!  (They say Chau here, as goodbye, more often than Adios)


1 comment:

  1. Hi Ginger, Glad you didn't feel like you missed Thanksgiving. We didn't have a traditional one on Thursday either. Decided to go down to Wisconsin Dells for a couple days. Will be with the Johnson's extended family tomorrow though. Please send photos of the dress you bought, sounds beautiful. Good luck walking in the heels, I am sure you will do fine. Send me a couple ideas of what I could send you for Christmas.
    Love Aunt Carol

    ReplyDelete