Sunday, March 30, 2014

Macaroni and Cheese

A few days ago I had a rotary dinner at a chicken restaurant called Dallas.  Me and Emilie (and Chachi for a few moments) took a bunch of selfies.








That day, Chachi found out he is going to go to Michigan for his exchange!  We're both excited that he isn't placed too far away and so maybe we'll be able to see eachother.

And today I went over to my friend Andre's house and me, Andre, and Eduardo enjoyed an american lunch that I prepared.  We had Kraft Mac and cheese, grilled cheese sandwiches, grape soda, bugles (those cone shaped chips) and I made cookie dough from a mix before we found out the oven didn't work.  We actually spent like 30 minutes going through the kitchen trying to find something flat and metal we could use as a cookie sheet before we figured out the oven didn't work, oops (people don't make cookies here). So we ate a bit of the raw cookie dough afterwards haha. 

Andre and Eduardo
Look Mom, I cooked!
haha
Then after we ate we were all sleepy haha.


Also Eduardo got me a cool new t-shirt:

Caution: Llama Crossing
Also I tried this thing where you put photos on top of each other (in this case I just used two photos) and they aren't lined up completely right but I like how it looks:



Tomorrow I am changing to my third host family.  Supposedly.  I say supposedly because the plans have been jumbled and somehow not known by both parties (and by that I mean that the family I'm going to tomorrow did not know I would be coming tomorrow until I called them tonight).  I thought I'd be changing earlier in the month but then it never happened and a few days ago I found out I'd be changing tomorrow.  So I packed up my stuff yesterday.  I'm happy because I'll be moving back into the general area where I used to live (kind of) close to my old school and where my friends live.  And I'll be living closer to my university (35 minutes compared to 90 minutes). 

Oh yeah, speaking of university, I actually went to my first class a few days ago and was surprised (and confused) to find out that it was in English!  The class was Introduccion a las ciencias sociales = Introduction to Social Sciences.  And the teacher spoke and taught in english and the peruvian students in the class discussed and answered questions in english and everything on the board was english.  I did not understand why it was taught in english but I was pretty impressed by the students' ability to discuss topics in english and that everyone pretty much understood.  And it turns out another one of my classes (Marketing de Alimentos y Bebidas = Marketing of Foods and Drinks) is also taught in English!  I do not know why rotary has put us in classes that are in English...we had to take a spanish test to be placed in the university and now we are attending classes that are taught in English.  Where is the logic in that? Oh well. 

And speaking of that spanish test, I think I mentioned taking it but I don't think I ever talked about the results.  Out of all the students in Lima (30 ish I think) I am one of the 6 that was placed in the Advanced spanish level!  So I'm happy about that :)

Oh and another quick thing!  I rode on the train for the first time here a few days ago.  Here they have a train but it's not very extensive, it's just one route and doesn't go that far.  I'd only ever used the buses here before but then a few days ago Eduardo and I took the train to go to a market.  I think it was kind of like a subway train but it was above ground, it was on an elevated concrete track thing that actually goes above the streets, kind of hard to explain.  Anyways, it was really nice because it's air conditioned and it arrives WAY quicker than going by car or bus because there is no traffic whatsoever.  And it's only slightly more expensive than taking the bus (for the train it's 1.50 soles no matter how far you go, which is still dirt cheap when looked at in american dollars = 53 cents USD).  I enjoyed taking the train, it seemed like a miracle to have arrived in such quick time.  I've gotten used to spending 2-3 hours a day on the bus.

Let me see....anything else I can talk about...hmm a few days ago I went to the movie theater with Eduardo, and we saw this weird creepy terror movie that was preeeeetty scary.



That's the cover...so as you can imagine, it was horrifying hahaha.  It was about this lady who got pregnant on her honeymoon and on the last night of her honeymoon the natives did this ceremony thing to her and I think her baby was demented or turned into the devil or something and the lady got demented too..anyways, the movie ended with her killing her sister and cutting open her own stomach to let out the baby and it was creeeeepy.

So far here in Peru, I have seen the following movies in theater:

  • Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters (I think)(it was the very beginning of the year and it was in spanish with no subtitles so I didn't understand very much)
  • Instructions not Included (in spanish the title is No Se Aceptan Devoluciones) which was a super cute movie which I suggest seeing.
  • Carrie (a horror movie which wasn't very scary)(later found out that it's been remade throughout the years like 3 times)
  • We're the Millers (pretty funny)
  • Devil's Due (weird)
  • Paranormal Activity 5 (it was really good! the best of the paranormal activity movies)
I think that's all of them...I think I'll go to the movies tomorrow too!

Okay that's everything I can think of haha :)
Bye!
-Ginger

No comments:

Post a Comment