Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Random Things

  • It rained here today for the first time in months (I don't remember the last time I saw rain!)
  • School began again for the majority of Lima's youth on Monday (here their summer break is mid-December to end of February) and I've been seeing lots of kids walking home from school in their uniforms.
  • Now that it's summer, I see tons of cockroaches in the streets and sidewalks, and mostly at night.  They are so disgusting and huge.  I'd never seen one before coming to Lima.
  • I have now been in 4 countries: USA, Peru, Chile, and Ecuador.
  • In Ecuador they use the US dollar; and when I visited, I learned they use Sacajawea (not sure if I spelled that right) dollar coins and those big 50 cent pieces.
  • I'm still learning jerga (slang)! 
    • Tono = fiesta = party
    • Gilear = coqueatear = to flirt
    • Taffin = poser (that ones hard to explain...my friend explained it to me like this:  you see a guy wearing skate shoes, skate apparel, and carrying a skate board.  But he doesn't know how to skate.  That's 'taffin')
    • Jato = casa = house
    • Jatear = dormir = to sleep 
    • Calet/caleta= secret
  • I feel very mature because yesterday I went grocery shopping and to the bank.  At the bank I paid for my cell phone for the month.  Then I went and bought the following:
    • Shampoo
    • Soap
    • Apple flavored iced tea
    • Haribo gummy peaches
    • A large package of cookies
  • I don't know if I've ever mentioned this, but in Lima there is a very well-known (and very tourist/gringo filled) park called Parque Kennedy.  This park is known for being filled with cats.  Literally, there are just a ton of cats and kittens hanging around.  It's really cool.  I've been there a ton of times but have never brought my camera with.
  • My host mom and host sister recently went on a trip to Pucallpa (a city in the jungle).  They brought back a suit case filled with jungle bananas.  We have been eating fried bananas everyday.  They're delicious.
  • I started drawing again a few weeks ago (just before I went on my trip).  I finished my first drawing (I'm pretty proud of it):
Left: Photo I took.  Right:  Drawing of photo I took



No comments:

Post a Comment