Monday, July 29, 2013

i'm hereee

ok I dont want to be rude by spending a lot of time on my laptop so I'll try to make this quick.

Flights were good, felt a little sick during them though.  And during each descent my ears hurt so bad, even though I was chewing gum.  The first plane was cramped and super ghetto.  The second one was better, it had little TVs so you could watch movies or listen to music. And I sat by a 22 year old german girl going to study in Lima at the university.  Had pasta for dinner, and it was surprisingly edible. 

Arrived in the lima airport at about 11 PM and met a huge group of rotary members, family, students, tons of balloons and signs, and a stuffed animal (hippopotamus). 

After many photos, we left and me, my host mom, and my host sister Grace were dropped off at home about a half hour or so away.  They live like in an apartment kind of... its really hard to explain.  Its more like several levels of houses, and they live on like the third level. 

Something that was super funny was right as we walked in, I saw one of my host brothers, Jim, sitting with his laptop playing league of legends.  It was so hilarious to me because that's exactly like my real brother. 

Anywho, right away we left to go visit a birthday party of one of my host mom's friends down the street.  We only stayed for like a half hour or so.  By this point I was exhausted and feeling kind of sick, so we left and I attempted to unpack.  then I sleep.

This morning I woke up very sad. Its strange because I am soo happy to be here and dont want to leave, but at the same time I feel quite homesick.  And then just as I was getting up I got a nosebleed.  My host mom was quite concerned haha, I guess that doesn't really happen here...?  She called a rotarian member who was a doctor even though I explained that it happens occasionally and it would stop in a few minutes. 

Then we had breakfast.  orange juice and they had bread, ham, cheese (so essentially sandwiches haha) and I had bread with manjar (like a thick caramel).  My stomach has felt upset since I arrived, and I don't feel hungry at all even though I didn't eat much yesterday.  I hope this sick feeling goes away soon. 

And I gave my family their gifts (they were all quite impressed with the hat I knit for Grace haha) and now they we are watching a movie although I'm not quite sure what it is.

The spanish isnt terrible, a bit difficult to understand, but manageable.  And my host family is quite patient and understanding and they know a little english. 

Lima is very dirty.  That is the first thing I noticed.  Bags of trash lying on the sidewalks, garbage littering the streets, stray dogs roaming.  And on the drive home I literally saw a man toss a bag of trash out his apartment window onto the street below.  It's kind of a scary place from what I've seen so far haha, lots of graffitti but also some nice murals, interesting trees and plants, and huge, old buildings. 

Well I should go now.  Pictures later.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you arrived safe and sound, now you need to get your stomach in line so you can eat something! :) We miss you already but so excited for your new adventure. xo xo

    ReplyDelete