Saturday, September 14, 2013

Words I've Learned and Jerga

Here are some spanish words I have learned and some jerga (peruvian slang) and their approximate meanings (from what I understand)

Bodega -  a little grocery store
Chevere - cool, awesome
xvr - abbreviation for chevere
Polo - tshirt
Colegio - school
Luca - slang occasionally used in place of 'sol' (the peruvian currency)
China- slang occasionally used for the 50 cent coin
Pasadores - Shoelaces
Cholo - an ethnic slur used to describe someone with mestizo heritage
Canela - means cinnamon, but is used to describe someone with dark (but not black) skin, also said as 'canelita'
Chifa - Peruvian Chinese food
Carpeta - In spanish class I learned that this meant folder, but here carpeta means a student's desk and chair together.
Lapisero - pen
Basquet - basketball (the sport, not the ball itself)
Celular - cellphone
Gaseosa - soda
Casaca - a zip up jacket
Polera - a hoodie
Tipo - dude/guy
Gorra - hat
Zapatillas - sneakers/casual shoes
Torta - cake
Caja - cashier/where you check out at the store. also means box
Enamorada - like girlfriend/boyfriend but not quite, like not as official
Recreo - recess
Cabello - hair. In spanish class I learned the word 'pelo' but here 'pelo' means animal hair and 'cabello' means human hair haha.
Chompa - sweater
Ceja - eyebrow
Pata - means leg, and also can mean friend.  haha
Choro - Means oyster, but here it's slang for a thief; choro, someone who robs people

That's just some of the many, many words that I have learned here.  And I could probably add quite a few spanish swear words that I've learned but I won't because I am a responsible youth ambassador ;)




5 comments:

  1. HI Ginger
    So how is the new class going? Any better? And your stomach pains have you figured out what food may be causing that? I think you are a very responsible youth ambassador and Rice Lake is proud to have you represent us!! So proud of you. And love you so very much.

    Have a good day off from school.

    Love Aunt Shari

    ReplyDelete
  2. its going better!! Im not sure, i dont think its any specific food, its just such a different diet here. thanks, love u lots :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ginger--Great blog and I really enjoy the pictures! Have fun! Mr. Beise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super helpful. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete