Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Just a day

Well nothing significant has happened, and things are more and more routine now, like it's getting harder for me to thing of what to write about in my blog.  So I'll just go through my day yesterday so you can see what a typical day is like for me.

I woke up at 6:45 AM and pulled on my white button up shirt, navy school sweater, navy tie, plaid skirt, knee high navy socks, and black shoes.  This was one of the rare days that I actually decided to wear the complete uniform, correctly (typically I wear my own colored shirts, and wear leggings under the skirt) but I did leave my hair down although I'm supposed to wear it up. 

For breakfast I ate cereal.  Typically I would eat bread with jam, or bread with ham/cheese, but my host mom bought me Froot Loops the last time we were at the store so I've been eating those.  I packed a small bag of froot loops in my backpack to eat in class, along with two packages of cookies.

My host dad drove me to school at about 7:35, and I arrived at about 7:40 or 7:45 (right on time).  In the beginning of the school day, we all line up with our grades and do 'formation'.  Basically an irritated woman with a microphone shouts "Distancia" and we take a step apart from eachother.  Then she says "Descansa" and we go from standing with our feet together, to one foot out to the side (like a relaxed stance).  Then she says "Atencion" and we stand with our feet together and our hands behind our back and listen to announcements and other nonsense for typically 20 to 25 minutes.  But Mondays are a little different; not only do we go through formation and listen to the usual nonsense, on Mondays they also raise the Peruvian flag and sign the Flag Raising anthem, then the Peruvian National Anthem, then the school's anthem.  This all takes place in the school 'courtyard'.  After that is finished, we are dismissed and go to our classes. 

Yesterday I was the only exchange student who came to school because:

A: This week we only have school on Monday (vacation rest of the week)
B: Monday was exams for most of the day

So I'm still in class with cuarto, so I go to class with cuarto.  In the United States, everyone has a different schedule, and you go to many different classes with totally different people.  In my school here, everyone in the same grade has the same schedule.  AKA, we all have the same classes together all day.  So the only time I see my other friends/anyone else from a grade other than cuarto....is during our 30 minute recreo and 15 minute break.

I don't specifically remember what classes I had (a lot of the time I don't even know, I just follow my class wherever they're going) but here's a few highlights of the school day:

1)  At one point, some of the boys in my class came across a fluttering moth on the ground.  They proceeded to pick it up and throw it at each other, all screaming and laughing (I was laughing myself I'll admit) and this went on for several minutes before one boy finally stepped on it.  When that happened, all the others 'attacked him' (hit him/kicked him but not hard enough to hurt, more like pretending) for being a murderer. 

2) I pulled out my bag of froot loops in class and immediately heard a roar of "Invitame, pe!" "Por favoooooor, invitameeee" AKA everyone begging for me to share.  So of course I shared.  Mostly everyone liked it, except for a few who said it was too sweet for their taste.

3) During recreo, I sat by a few kids from quinto (the grade I used to be in) and they asked me about my trip and how it went, and asked me questions, and at one point they were holding my hair and examining it (everyone here is fascinated by my 'blonde' hair) and one of them even sat down so they could put my hair on their head.  It was hilarious because it was a boy, attempting to wear my hair.  Everyone was laughing so hard.  I just went with the flow.  And they all ask me weird questions... "what is your model guy? do you like chinese people? do you like black people? did you kiss victor on the trip?" they are convinced I'm in love with Victor, the other exchange student in my class from belgium.  It's so funny

4) In english class I listened to music with a kid that I had previously disliked (due to the fact that every time I saw him all he would do is give me the middle finger and was constantly teasing me) but we discussed it, and he explained and apologized.  Better to have a friend than an enemy.

Then at 2 o'clock, school ended (normally ends at 3 but it ended early yesterday because of the exams) and we all filed out of the school.  I waited for a few minutes to say goodbye to my friend Chachi but he had already left, so I started walking home.  I walk home from school everyday, and I think its about 7 blocks or so.  It takes like 20 or 25 minutes, but its not so bad.  On my way home from school, I believe 2 people called out 'gringa!' at me, trying to get my attention.  It still kind of freaks me out.

When I got to the house, I rang the buzzer by the door so my host mom could throw down the keys from the window (I lost my keys....).  She didn't realize I'd be coming home early, so lunch wasn't made, so she said we'd go out to eat.  We ended up eating at a cafe in a clinic.... which at first I was hesitant about but the food ended up good so whatever haha.  I had salchipapa, which is french fries with cut up pieces of hot dog on top, and people here typically smother it with mayo and ketchup but I prefer just ketchup. 

After this, we returned to the house and my host mom left to do a dance class.  I stayed home and watched movies on netflix on my computer because the last time she convinced me to go with her to her class (just to sit and watch) I discovered that the class was OUTSIDE in the cold, at 9 at night and that was no fun.  I finished watching the Matrix two days ago, also watched part of Forrest Gump, then yesterday watched Bruce Almighty and part of Twilight...... just because I read the books and was curious hahaha.  I always watch the movies with spanish subtitles so I can read along with it and possibly learn something haha.  While I watched my movies, I also chatted with some of my classmates on facebook and attempted to make plans for this week (as I mentioned, we are on vacation) and I have no idea what im going to do all week.

Then I ate steak, chicken, and rice for supper (we had supper at about 10 oclock, maybe a little later....that is crazy to me).  I can not handle the amount of food here.  Everyone says I eat like a bird (that I barely eat anything) but I just cannot finish the portions here. I'm a tiny person, and they give me heaps and heaps of food and I try to finish to be polite but every day they keep giving me the same huge portions despite my requests for less food.  -.-  I haven't weighed myself but I have to imagine that I've gained weight because I feel like I'm eating a lot more here.

Then I showered, and went to bed at around midnight or 11:30 I think...  that was my day!


No comments:

Post a Comment