Saturday, August 24, 2013

An awesome day!

Yesterday I don't really remember what we did, but I do remember we went to eat dinner at a chifa restaurant (chifa is peruvian chinese food if I haven't said that already, they are ABUNDANT here, seriously they are everywhere) and it was about 9:30 PM.  That's something I'm still not quite adjusted to, how late some things are done here.  While dinner in the US is typically consumed at around 5 or 6, here it's normal to eat at 8 PM or even later.  Anyway, the whole family went (me, my host mom, host dad, host brother twins bruno and jim, and host brother christian, plus a friend of jim's) and ate chifa.  I had chicken and rice (BIG SURPRISE).  I eat chicken and rice constantly here, nearly every day.  I'm okay with it though, because its one of the few foods here that I like.  I also enjoy chicken and french fries (I had that after school yesterday...yummm). 

While the last two days have been quite good, there was a big downside which was the following:
For the last two/three days, I had sporadic, intense stomach pain.  Every so often, all of a sudden, I would have this really bad pain in my stomach that would last about a minute, maybe 45 seconds, and occasionally it would be so intense that my breathing would change (I don't quite know how to explain it, my breathing would get ragged? is that the phrase?) and then once the pain stopped, I would feel completely normal and comfortable.  (well, I also would have some bathrooms problems afterwards but I won't get into that for your sake...)  At first, like the first day I had the pain, my best friend Emilie and I would joke that I was going into labor and that I was having contractions.  But then by the second day, I was actually getting concerned, as the night before the pain was bad enough that it would wake me up and make it very difficult to go back to sleep.  And so I decided that if the pain continued the next day, I would seek out medical attention.  But thank god, today I have felt much better and while I have had just a few moments of slight stomach pain, it is a huge improvement from the last two days.  So that is quite a relief.

On a lighter note, today I had quite an enjoyable day.  I went to Jockey Plaza (basically just a big mall) which is like, I don't know, 20 or 25 minutes away from where I live.  Maybe more.  Anyways, I went with Emilie (previously mentioned best friend) and Andre (a kid from our rotary club that went to belgium on exchange and now is back).  We had subway for lunch, which was awesome because I got to eat pickles (PICKLES OMG <3) however I was disappointed in the questionable, yellow substance they called 'cheddar cheese'.  Haha anyway, after lunch we also got ice cream, which was really cool, because there were tons of flavors, including several that were made from fruits only found in Peru.  Andre got some ice cream made from a fruit called lucuma (I think that's what it's called anyways..) and I didn't think it was very good haha but I did enjoy my toffee ice cream.  Then we went and watched a movie, Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters, which was super awesome because I have read the book series and quite enjoyed them.  The movie was completely in spanish (no subtitles or anything) but I still understood most of it, and not because I had previously read the book.  So that was fun.  Then we just browsed some stores for a little while, I bought some contact solution and some lotion, and then we returned by bus and I walked the rest of the way home. 

And now I am going to go look at cell phones with my host brothers, and hopefully buy one tonight!  Bye!!

~Ginger :)

Interesting Fact:  The currency here is called 'Nuevo Sol' (plural = soles) but american dollars are also widely accepted (mostly at the bigger stores). 

No comments:

Post a Comment