Wednesday, August 21, 2013

quite busy

So from friday to sunday, all the exchange students in Lima went to 'campamento' which means camp, but we actually stayed at a resort (not really camping).  We shared bungalows (5 people in each) which were actually pretty nice, with little kitchens, patios, and a bathroom. The 'camp' was located in Chosica, which is outside of Lima, not really sure where, but the weather there is drastically different.  Lima is in a constant state of cold, yucky, humid, misty terribleness during winter and in Chosica we actually saw the sun everyday and it got quite hot!  In lima that is quite a rarity during the winter.  It was a nice change to feel warm! 

We arrived Friday afternoon and during the weekend we had various presentations (quite boring and unfortunately fairly uninformative...) and had scheduled activities/games plus free time, in which we all spent time at the resort's pool (with a slide!) and on the ropes course. 

There were ginormous mountains everywhere you looked.  
we enjoyed spectacular views in every direction

the guys enjoyed wrestling in the kiddie pool...
The only reason I wasn't thrown in the pool was because I had my camera on me at all times ;)
from top to bottom:  natalie (canada), gerry (australia), garrett (USA)
WISCONSINITES UNITE!!  Ian from Waupaca, WI and me.

We had a talent show, and also each group of students from each country had to sing their national anthem.  Above are the boys from Belgium from left:  Marcel, Colin, Laurent. 
The french kids proudly singing their anthem!  From left:  Bastien, Simon, Nouma, Penelope, Tiphaine, Charlotte (not sure about the spelling of her name..) and Guillame
Here's another pic of the mountains... and the side is covered in little houses/shacks but its hard to see. 
So overall it was a very fun weekend.  But it was also very exhausting.  Each night we ended up back at our bungalows to sleep at about midnight.  The first morning we had to get up at 6:30 AM and the second morning at 8 AM sooo we were all pretty much walking zombies. 

Also, another bad aspect of the camp was that a huge chunk of the students ended up very sick.  We are not sure if it was because of the food that we were served, or what, but during the weekend, about 6 people were sick (stomach issues, throwing up, shaking, fevers, etc)  and even after we returned to Lima, many more started feeling sick.  I myself had some stomach problems but I had a very mild case compared to some of the others.  One girl ended up at the hospital yesterday, and one boy had to have a doctor called to his house because he couldnt get out of bed.  So it was actually kind of serious. 

We returned on Sunday and I was greeted by my twin host brothers Jim and Bruno, who then took me to the grocery store and let me pick out food/snacks I wanted, which was super cool.  I ended up with vanilla and chocolate oreos, peruvian candy, and spicy salted banana chips (sounds crazy but are actually kind of good).  I think they are going to help me get a cell phone soon.  I was using my host mom's but its super old and you can't actually call with it (can only receive calls, which is not particularly helpful) hahaha. 

Then on Monday, despite not feeling well and being exhausted, I went to school.  Emilie and Tami did not go to school (both of them were fairly sick) which actually turned out to be ok because I spoke more spanish. 

Then monday night there was a rotary dinner which was held at a Chifa restaurant (peruvian chinese food).  It was very formal (I wore a dress and my blazer).  The dinner was to welcome the students that came to peru and to to welcome back the returning students who went on exchange and are now back in Peru.  We exchange students in Lima were supposed to arrive at 6:30 PM to practice singing our anthems and carrying our flags in, but most didnt show up until the dinner actually started so we never actually practiced...but it went fine anyways. 

I got to see Israel!!  Israel went to Hudson, Wisconsin last year so I knew him from Rotary and I had met him a few times.  It was so cool to see him again.  He lives in Chosica (outside of Lima-like 45 minutes/an hour away from where I live I think..) so we are going to try to plan to get together to hang out.

Unfortunately I hadnt charged my camera batteries after campamento, so my camera died in the beginning of the dinner.

I only got about 2 photos.  Here they are:

very formal

ISRAEL AND I!!!!!  :D







No comments:

Post a Comment