Monday, August 26, 2013

Texas Hold Em

This week is my school's anniversary (42 years I think) so we have had some competitions/contests, and each grade has prepared a dance (I will not be participating but I will take pictures) so I think one day there will be a presentation of all the dances.  We are also having a sports competition day, and I am on a basketball team.  I love playing basketball here because I'm actually considered good ;)  Occasionally I play during recess with classmates. 

Also today, my host brother convinced me to play poker with him.  I was hesitant at first, not because I don't believe in gambling, but because I didn't have any clue how to play and I didn't think it would be fun.  But I agreed, and we bet some American candy I brought instead of money.  He taught me the basics and I pulled up the different hand formations on my computer, and I told him that if by some miracle I won, he had to buy me pizza for dinner because I was hungry and really wanted pizza haha.  We played two games and I won both.  It was awesome.  Most of the time I just threw down chips and didn't really know what I was doing, and was just looking for pairs haha but it worked out well and now I get pizza for dinner :D

Going backwards now:
On Sunday my host family and I took a trip to Chosica and just kind of chilled, saw a few different things, had lunch at a restaurant, and also encountered some llamas.  Here's some pics:

Above is a pic of an ice cream stand that had pretty cool ice cream flavors, many made from exotic peruvian fruits.  Some examples can be found on the sign in the picture:  Chirimoya, Higo, I think Palta means avocado..yuck I wouldn't want that as an ice cream flavor..

Anyways, I got strawberry and a flavor I think was called Maracuya but I'm not quite sure..  whatever it was called, it tasted good.


And as I previously mentioned, we encountered two llamas, a black one and a white one.  My host brother and I both took photos by them:


And below is a picture of me eating a peruvian fruit that I don't remember the name of:


And there was also a nice river.  A woman was doing her laundry there, and I also saw a child being bathed there.



And this was just a nice view taken off of a bridge over the railroad tracks:



Oh and one more thing, this is a picture of a drink called Chicha Morada that I tried at a restaurant when we had lunch in Chosica.  It is made from purple corn.  I did not particularly enjoy it.


 


Okay that is all for now.  I hope everyone is enjoying reading.  Please leave comments if you would like to have specific questions answered or anything.  Bye!


2 comments:

  1. So cool Ginger, Uncle Steve will want to take you on in poker when you get back! Are the llamas just roaming around wild? Don't they spit?Yikes. Sounds like you are trying a few new foods, good for you. New fruits sound like fun to try but the corn drink not so much. Are you getting any more out of your school day? Glad you get to be the basketball star. We saw Percy Jackson the same night you did, Bethany invited friends to the movie for her birthday then had a sleepover. Keep up the good blogging, love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont know if they were wild or not, there were people around but they were just laying down in the shade! They didnt spit but I didnt get too close to find out! School is pretty much the same, frustrating every day :P but hanging out with my classmates is nice. Yeahhh Percy Jackson was awesome! And oh jeez, I dont think I could play with uncle steve, I basically just threw down chips randomly :P Thanks!

    ReplyDelete