Monday, August 12, 2013

ceviche.....AND A SWEATER

So on sunday we went out to lunch at a seafood restaurant.  We got ceviche and different types of fried fish (including octopus).  And apparently ceviche is such a delicious food and everyone loves it but honestly....I thought I was going to throw up.  The texture of that fish in my mouth.....ick.  Ceviche is like raw fish, that is marinated in lime juice and is served with onions and stuff.  It's a pretty well known dish, and is very popular here. Here's a picture of ceviche (from the internet).


It was not a pleasant experience....  but the fried fish was better.  And after we ate lunch, we went to a feria (like an artisan fair).  There were food stands (I saw cuy-- cooked guinea pig) and we had picarones (like doughnuts).  And there were a ton of stands selling sweaters, pants, hats, and other awesome peruvian stuff, and all of it is pretty cheap.  I bought an awesome blue alpaca sweater for 30 soles, so like $12 USD or so, and peruvian pants for 15 soles, about $5 USD.  IT WAS COOL.




Also here's some pictures of my school.  School is so boring.  I just draw in my notebook all day, and occasionally take notes if a teacher asks me to.  Like today I had to take notes in english class and I was like... "are you serious right now???"  That's a pretty funny class actually.  Several of the students speak better english than the teacher...

looking down at the courtyard from the second level
its a very small school
 
classrooms on top of classrooms on top of classrooms
Another difference I havent mentioned yet is that when you greet someone, you do it by kissing their cheek.  Well, you dont really kiss their cheek, you more just like touch cheeks and its hard to explain.. but yeah.  And its the same for saying goodbye.  Its nice sometimes and annoying sometimes, like when you're at a party or with family, and you have to leave but before you can leave, you're supposed to kiss everyone goodbye and it can take a long time.

Chau

3 comments:

  1. I think the fish thing sounds a little like our "pickled herring", which I like but I know a lot of people find gross. I though the double cheek kiss was European, didn't know it was also in South America! I think it would be a little to personal and cumbersome to do all the time.
    Love the sweater choice, the pants are a statement! Keep attaching the photos it really gives a sense of where you are.
    Love Aunt C

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah it was icky.... just a single kiss, on one cheek! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of when you are at Aunt Shari's, I always have to hug all of you when you arrive and when you leave. So glad I finally remembered you have this blog along with face book. Miss you and love you much!
    Love you
    Aunt Shari

    ReplyDelete