Thursday, December 5, 2013

Random Facts

  • I wear a plaid skirt to school on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays
  • Here in Peru, we have Rotary Exchange Students from the USA, Canada, Belgium, France, Germany, Taiwan, Denmark, Australia, and Finland
  • Only 3 classrooms in my entire Peruvian school have any sort of technology (computers, phones, anything)...well, a few of them have clocks, but I'm not going to count that as technology
  • My first time on a plane was the day I came to Peru, and now I've been on a plane 8 times
  • My best Peruvian friend's name is Juan Roberto, but everyone calls him Chachi
  • Almost everyday, I buy a little bag of chips from my school's tienda (more or less a concession stand) for 50 centimos, the equivalent of 18 cents US
  • There are 4 other students at my Peruvian school that have lived in the United States, and all of them lived in Florida
  • I eat chicken and rice everyday (I'm not exaggerating)
  • I drink Inca Kola (the most popular soda in Peru) almost everyday 
  • My host family has a dog named Nossa and she smells bad pretty much all the time (I'm not a huge fan of her)
  • There is a display of Santa Rosa de Lima (Saint Rose of Lima) in my school:
There it is
  •  I have seen (and attempted to hug) countless llamas and alpacas
  • I'm graduating Peruvian high school in 8 days
  • I have developed a love for taking black and white photos (my favorite subject: Peruvian children):
cuties
  •  One teacher at my school here has called me 'Ringer' about 5 times:
And so, naturally, a classmate had to change my name in my notebook: Ringer Rederton
  •  The same kid at my school asks me for a piece of my hair at least once a week
  • I have been to the movie theater in Peru 3 times: I have seen Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters, We're the Millers, and Carrie.  I desperately want to see The Hunger Games; Catching Fire
  • I miss the following things (and many more that I can't remember/don't have the motivation to list):
    • sweaters
    • snow
    • boots
    • my moccasins (really wish I'd brought them!)
    • my parents
    • my siblings, a lot actually!!
    • baths
    • reading in the bath haha
    • culver's
      • butterburgers
      • bbq sauce
      • chicken tenders
      • sourdough melts
      • custard
      • cheese curds
      • everything
    •  my mom's lasagna
    • bona casa spaghetti sauce
    • chicken fajitas
    • being able to open the refrigerator or cupboard and find a large variety of food
    • ramen noodles, grilled cheese and pickles
    • stars in the sky at night (can't see them typically here)
    • family get togethers with all my cousins , aunts and uncles, and grandparents
    • playing tennis
    • dr.pepper/cherry pepsi
    • reading (IN ENGLISH)
    • movie nights
    • arizona iced tea (peach flavored specifically!)
    • going outside barefoot (in the summer, obviously) 
    • getting lunch at school (even if it is a terrible lunch)
    • being able to leave school to go out for lunch
    • crisp fall days with beautiful, crunchy leaves on the trees and a blue sky
    • barbecues 
    • any and every holiday (Halloween, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, etc)
    • heated and air conditioned classrooms and houses
    • american breakfasts (pancakes, bacon, eggs, toast) 
    • having lots of ice cream in the freezer to eat whenever I want
    • Watching TV with my brother and sister (The Office, How I Met Your Mother, Parks and Recreation)
    • Having lots of decorations for holidays
    • My big, nice bed
    • Orange Julius smoothies
    • Drinkable, good-tasting tap water
    • Bonfires and smores
    • Hot chocolate or hot apple cider in the winter
    • potato chips
Bye for now! ✤

-Ginger

No comments:

Post a Comment